Stories from the Muddy

Please feel free to email me anytime with questions or additional story elements.

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Roads Taken

By Naomi Lewis

            Looking back is like gazing into a kaleidoscope.  At the end of a long tube, colorful patterns emerge, flow, fuse, click and change as I slowly turn my life, remembering.

            A friend who died young was wise beyond his years when he told me, “Naomi, whatever you want to do, you have to be it.”  I spent years fumbling, before I understood his words in action. 

            I couldn’t have known as an untried youth who I was, what I would produce, who I would become.  When I was a pretender of things to come, I couldn’t even imagine the depth of me or what I would discover until after long years of erupting, melting, cooling, sizzling, folding, thrusting, like geologic movement, producing mountains and mole hills.

A hill in Lampeter, Wales

Not until I stared at sands so silver they hurt my eyes at the estuary at Laugharne did I acknowledge I was a pilgrim in search of “Fern Hill,” the playground of golden-tongued poet, Dylan Thomas and held my dream of Wales in my arms.  I stood where he stood and I too was “happy as the heart was long” and the day was “Now.”

            I wonder if it had been up to me, would I have left home, family, all things familiar, crossed an ocean and a continent as my great grandfather Arthur Lewis did at fourteen to help build a kingdom?  Not until I stood at the railing of a ferry crossing between Mallaig, Scotland and the Isle of Skye did I glimpse that too blue line where sky and water meet and see for the first time the DNA I shared with my courageous ancestors.


The road where trees kissed in the middle in Smalinenkai, Lithuania
             I could not know who I was until I searched for and found where they came from.  Not until I walked where trees on both sides of the road waved, and bounced and kissed in the middle did it dawn on me that I felt something akin to what my ancestors must have felt.  I was on a difficult journey in reverse to a small village in Lithuania from which my mother’s father’s grandparents immigrated to America.  I too was a pioneer just like my venerated forbearers.

            I didn’t know I would become a Shakespearean actor.  Not until I was pronounced ‘a Goddess on stage,’ did I grasp I had become what I wanted to do. 

            I could not have known who I was until I peered at the sky through a slender tube after the passing of many years that I was more than I could ever in my youth have imagined.  My pedigree is eternal.  Now, what can I do knowing, I am a child of God?



Mwnd, Wales summer 2005

<A HREF="http://www.copyscape.com/online-copyright-protection/%22%3E%3CIMG SRC="http://banners.copyscape.com/images/cs-wh-3d-88x31.gif" ALT="Protected by Copyscape Online Copyright Protection" TITLE="Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Checker - Do not copy content from this page." WIDTH="88" HEIGHT="31" BORDER="0"></A>

No comments:

Post a Comment

These are the stories as I know them. Please feel free to add to my content in polite language. Any comments with profantiy or aggressive language will be deleted.